Tuesday, January 29, 2013

cheddar cheese and chewy chive biscuits

Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain was my hero and first crush. I didn't really know the difference between Gene Kelly and Don Lockwood, but I thought both were dreamy, particularly because they sang and danced and were movie stars.  Quotations from the movie are etched into my lexicon, and dances and images from the movie are imprinted in my mind. And a few weeks ago, thinking about savory biscuits, a lightbulb flashed above my head when I remembered a tongue twister from the movie. "Moses Supposes" was dancing about my brain, and inspired cheddar cheese and chive biscuits to became a part of my lunch. Several batches later, I found the "shimmering, glowing" biscuit combination, a light, fluffy, cheese-filled concoction best eaten straight out of the oven.



Cheddar Cheese-Chive Biscuits
makes 10-12 biscuits

Ingredients:

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I use 2%)
2/3 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chives, thinly diced

1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees.

2. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.

3. Toss in the diced butter, stirring just until the mixture is pleasantly lumpy.

4. Add in the Greek yogurt, mix, then add the cheddar cheese and chives and mix again.

5. Mold the dough into a ball, then roll it out to about an inch thickness.

6. Using either a floured cookie cutter or something with about a two inch diameter (I used a mason jar), cut out circles of dough, and place on top of a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet. You will have between 10 and 12 biscuits.

7. Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden brown.

8. Dance and recite tongue twisters while eating.

2 comments:

  1. I knew from the title that you were going to Singin in the Rain land!! Yay for Don Lockwood! I noticed in the list of ingredients "white" whole wheat flour....what's the difference?

    Beans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans, that is a fantastic question. So, white whole wheat and regular brown whole wheat are nutritionally the same, but white whole wheat flour has a milder flavor and a lighter color. I find that using brown whole wheat flour usually makes my pastries a little heavier and chewier with a more noticeable "whole wheat" taste, whereas white whole wheat flour doesn't have as noticeable a "whole wheat" taste/presence. You can also check out http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/whole-white-wheat-faq, which has some cool information about the differences.

      Delete